Even though women constantly use nail polish and are generally unaware of its effects on health, a recent study showed that many of the most popular nail polish brands in America are much more harmful than anyone imagined.

According to Daily Mail:

Nail salon workers pay a huge price in the form of their health. Exposure to nail care products with harmful chemicals can result in a number of health effects, ranging from skin irritations, eye injuries and allergic reactions.

They also have thinking and memory problems, neurological symptoms, nausea, respiratory problems, cancer and uncontrollable muscle contractions to impaired reproductive and development processes.

Research studies have documented acute health effects in these workers. These include headaches, breathing problems, and skin irritations, commonly associated with overexposure to solvents used in these products. “

A recent study found some extremely alarming facts concerning the use of nail polish- it was led by Duke University and the public health advocacy organization Environmental Working Group and shoed that we absorb at least one potentially hormone-disrupting chemical every time we get a polish.

The study involved 24 women, who were tested for signs of chemical toxins, and they found toxic evidence in every single one of them, as a result of the use of nail polish.

All of them showed signs of triphenyl phosphate only 10 hours after applying nail polish.

Afterward, in the follow-up study, the team of researchers tested ten different nail polishes for triphenyl phosphate and found it in eight of them, and two of the polishes that tested positively for the chemical did not include it in the label. This is even more alarming, as we cannot be certain which nail polishes we purchase contain this harmful chemical even though it is not listed as an ingredient.